Perfect... Imperfection... Seeking A Balance...

Thursday, March 28, 2024

Letter to My Children

Today is a national holiday – Nuzul al-Quran. We had a good sleep throughout and woke up at about 9 a.m. Issac wanted to go to the nearest Puchong Prima photo studio to take his U.S. visa photo. Then we went for our lunch at Kopitiam near our home.

We decided to go to Main Place USJ21 to have some ‘lepak’ time in Starbucks as now Starbucks has every day during Ramadan month has RM5 on a second handcrafted beverage with any handcrafted beverage purchased. We got ourselves a chocolate cream chip and a peach passion blossom cream Frappuccino.

We had a good time spending time together doing our interest. We went to Popular for a while and we had our early dinner at Ayam Penyet Best Station. I am glad we had a good time together this afternoon.

This reminds me of the letter that I wrote to my children in my Institute assignment: list five or more promises that will help me “rear [my] children in love and righteousness, provide for [my children’s] physical and spiritual needs, and teach [my children] to love and serve one another, observe the commandments of God, and be law-abiding citizen wherever they live” (“The Family: A Proclamation to the World,”) After each of the promises, I need to write to my children why I think it is so important that I, as their parents, fulfill that promises. And need to refer specifically to the sixth and seventh paragraphs of the family proclamation for ideas. Here is what I wrote:

Dear Children,

I promise to pray with you every day. I know it is important that you have a personal relationship with your Heavenly Father. I know He is there, and He will hear and answer your prayer. You can pray to Him anytime and anywhere.

I promise to study the scripture with you. I know you will find peace and strength to resist temptations when you study scriptures daily because scriptures are the words of God. You will invite the Holy Ghost into your life.

I promise to teach you by example how to budget time and resources. Teach you about self-reliance and the importance of preparing for your future. It encourages you to independent learning to unlock your potential and grow to be passionate and capable contributors to the work of salvation.

I promise to spend individual time with you, letting you choose the activities and the subject of conversation, and eliminating distractions by putting away electronic devices. I promise to help you create happy memories by building our family traditions, meaningful vacations, and wholesome activities.

I promise to be there and listen to you if you approach me with a problem, see issues from your point of view, and resist the urge to give you a solution. Instead, ask questions for clarification and arrive at a solution together. I want you to know it is ok if you make a mistake, and making a mistake does not affect my love for you.

Love,

Mother

image

Tender Mercies by Annie Henrie Nader. Image via AltusFineArt.com

This is a painting of a mother with her two children, and an angel supporting her. It is a sacred moment of sacrifice, endurance, and great love. This painting is also a tribute to the many tender mercies in our lives – the sweetness found in motherhood, and also the angels who come to our rescue in the form of friends and family. By seeing these tender mercies we come to know God’s great love for His children.

No comments:

Post a Comment