Perfect... Imperfection... Seeking A Balance...

Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Letter to My Spouse

There was a final project that every student required to complete during Week 13 while I was taken my Institute class of REL200 The Eternal Family - The Project: Understanding Sacred Duties few semesters ago. I can choose either Option A: Building Faith and Providing Encouragement or Option B: Letters to Current or Future Family.

I had chosen Option B. I required to write two letters: one to my future or current spouse, and one to my future or current children. In the letter to my spouse, I need to list five or more promises that will help me love and support my spouse as an equal partner. I have to ensure that my promises focus on the divinely appointed role of my spouses as mentioned in the sixth and seventh paragraphs of the family proclamation. After each of these promises write why I think this promise is so important.

It was quite an emotional roller coaster while I worked on this assignment. My term with Alvin was not good at all. I feel as it was awkward and not comfortable at all, but after pondered and prayed much, I had written the following letter.

Dear Alvin (Husband), 

I promise to have faith. It is the first principle of the gospel of Jesus Christ. It is not only faith in God and His beloved Son, not only in the living prophets, but faith must be the first principle of our marriage – to have a sincere and ever-growing faith in you and also in our children. We attend sacrament and other meetings every week, hold family home evenings, pray, and study the scriptures together. Our faith will grow as we keep the commandments, and so will the harmony and joy in marriage.

I promise to respect and support you by your side by focusing first on home, helping and sharing responsibilities, and making our homes a safe place where everyone in the family feels love and a sense of belonging. It is because every family member is different with our unique gifts, abilities, and differences. Teach our children by being examples in keeping our covenant and the Lord’s commandments.

I promise to read the scriptures with you more often as a couple. It is because the best place to go for insight into marriage is to the Lord – through prayer and the scriptures. Searching the scriptures to find counsel is a way to strengthen our marriage.

I promise to “reason together” with you as we hold the family councils, which means no arguing, haranguing, or backbiting but instead reasoning with soft-spoken voices. After “reason together” and being guided by the spirit, we decide to move confidently and harmonize with the Lord. It is because I know that I should stand equally yoked together, just as we are meant to share equally in every blessing that the Lord endowed to our family when we made our temple covenant in His presence. I know that we can achieve the eternal objective of becoming one before God.

I promise to pray for the love which allows me to see the goodness in you. Pray for the love that sees weaknesses and mistakes seem small. Pray for the love to make your joy mine. Pray for the love to want to bear your burdens and soften your sorrows. It is because I know I am imperfect. All these unseen differences accumulated day after day may add to a possible future breakdown in our marital relationship. I promise to pray with you and include our Heavenly Father in our marriage. I know that He will help bring us even closer every day.

Love,

Your Dear Wife

image

Worlds without End by J. Kirk Richards. Image via jkirkrichards.wpcomstaging.com

I feel as if it is impossible for both of us to reach there, but I know that I should and shall trust in Him that He knows what the best for me and my family. I love the Lord with all my Heart, Mind and Soul. I could not imagine my life without Him - to calm my fears, gives me peace and comfort. I know I am in His good hands. My Redeemer lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment