As I read about Annabelle’s experience at the 2024 FSY Asia Conference in Bangkok, I found myself thinking about my own children and their journey through life. As a mother, I want my children to be happy, make good friends, and find their place in the world. But more than anything, I hope they will develop their own faith in Jesus Christ and learn to turn to Him when they face challenges. I know I cannot always be beside them or protect them from every difficult experience, but I hope the things I teach them will stay in their hearts as they grow.
One thing that touched me was Annabelle’s honesty about feeling nervous when meeting people she did not know. I can imagine how uncomfortable it must have been for her at first. Sometimes, we look at young people and assume they will naturally make friends and enjoy being with others, but they also have their own fears and worries. As a mother, I sometimes wish I could make everything easier for my children. I want them to feel accepted and confident, and I do not want them to feel lonely. But Annabelle’s experience reminds me that sometimes we need to let our children face these situations and discover their own strength.
What I liked most was that Annabelle and her friend Cherrie wanted to help other first-time participants feel more comfortable. They remembered how shy they had been before, so they wanted to make the experience easier for others. This made me think about how our own experiences, even the uncomfortable ones, can help us understand other people better. I felt happy to see that Annabelle was not only thinking about herself but was also looking for ways to help others. As a mother, I hope my children will develop this kind of heart—to notice people who may feel left out and to be willing to reach out to them.
As I continued reading, I thought about the question Annabelle was asked during FSY: “Why be a disciple of Christ?” It made me ask myself the same question. I know that following Jesus Christ is more than attending church, reading scriptures, or participating in Church activities. It is also about how I treat people, how I respond when I am hurt, and whether I am willing to keep trusting the Lord when life does not turn out the way I hoped.
I want my children to learn these things, but I also know I need to keep learning them myself. It is not always easy to be patient, to choose kind words, or to respond with love when I am tired or worried. Sometimes, I know what I should do, but putting it into practice is another matter. Annabelle’s experience reminded me that discipleship is a daily choice. We do not become more like Christ overnight. We learn little by little as we keep trying to follow Him.
Another part that made me reflect was Annabelle’s lesson about the covenant path and the need to keep going even when things become difficult. Her experience reminded me that faith is not built only during the moments when we feel the Spirit strongly. It also grows through ordinary days when we still choose to pray, study the scriptures, and do what is right even when we do not feel particularly strong.
There have been times in my own life when I have needed to rely on Heavenly Father and remind myself to keep moving forward. I am learning that I do not need to have everything figured out before I can trust Him. Sometimes, I only need enough faith to take the next step. As a mother, I hope my children will learn this too. I cannot promise them that life will always be easy, but I hope they will know where to turn when it is not.
I also liked learning how Annabelle experienced a sense of belonging among the young people at FSY. They came from different places, but they shared their faith and encouraged one another. Her company was called Zion, which reminded me of Moses 7:18 and the idea of being of one heart and one mind. It made me think about my own family. We may not always see things the same way, and each of us has our own struggles, but I hope we can continue learning to listen, forgive, support one another, and turn to Christ together.
As a mother, I sometimes wonder whether I am doing enough to guide my children spiritually. I want to teach them the gospel and help them make good choices, but I know I cannot make those choices for them. They need to develop their own testimonies and learn through their own experiences. I can share what I believe, pray for them, and try to be a good example, but I also need to give them room to grow. This is not always easy because, as a mother, I naturally worry about the people I love.
Annabelle’s experience reminds me that Heavenly Father is also part of my children’s journey. He knows them personally and understands their needs better than I do. I need to remember that I am not the only one watching over them. I can do my best as a mother while learning to trust Him with the things I cannot control.
As I reflect on Annabelle’s experience, I realise that I am still growing as a disciple of Jesus Christ, too. I may be a mother, but I am also a daughter of Heavenly Father who needs His guidance, comfort, and love. I still have things to learn about patience, faith, and how to respond to difficult situations with a Christlike heart. Perhaps one of the most important things I can do for my children is to keep working on myself and let them see that I am still trying to follow the Saviour.
I am grateful for Annabelle’s experience because it has helped me look beyond the activities and friendships of FSY and think about what it really means to become a disciple of Christ. It is not just about what we experience during a special event. It is about what we carry with us after we return home and how those experiences influence the way we live.
As a mother, I hope my children will always remember that they are loved by Heavenly Father and that they can turn to Jesus Christ whenever they need help. I hope they will find good friends, have the courage to reach out to others, and continue to grow in faith even when life becomes challenging.
And for myself, I hope I can keep learning to trust the Lord with my children and with my own life. I do not know everything that lies ahead, but I believe I can keep moving forward with Him. Sometimes, that may be all the Lord asks of me for now—to keep loving, keep praying, keep trying, and take the next step with faith.
No comments:
Post a Comment