Christmas 2024 felt a little different with Elder Yu away serving his mission. During the Christmas holiday, we had a video call with him, and it was such a happy moment to see his familiar smiling face on the screen again. Even though we could not celebrate Christmas together in person, being able to see him and share a little time together meant a lot to me.
One of the things I was looking forward to was knowing whether he had received the Christmas presents we mailed to him. We had sent him two books, Hidden Potential by Adam Grant and a book by Gerald N. Lund. When he showed us the books during our video call, I was so happy! There he was, holding up both books and smiling at the camera. I could not help smiling too. It was wonderful to know that our little Christmas parcel had reached him safely.
I think this photo captures the moment so well. Elder Yu looked excited to show us his presents, and I was happy to see that he had received them. Choosing and mailing the books was our way of letting him know that we were thinking of him during Christmas. Although they were simple gifts, they carried our love and encouragement for him as he continued his missionary service.
Christmas is usually a time when I think about family gatherings, sharing meals, and enjoying the company of the people I love. With Elder Yu away, we could not have everyone together in the usual way. I did miss having him at home, but the video call gave us a chance to share a little part of the holiday with him. Sometimes, seeing his face and knowing that he is doing well is enough to make my day.
As I looked at him holding the books, I also thought about how much he must be experiencing and learning during his mission. He is away from the familiar routines of home, taking on new responsibilities and serving people in a different setting. I hope the books will give him something interesting to read and perhaps some useful thoughts to reflect on during his mission. I also hope he knows that we are proud of him and that we continue to remember him in our prayers.
Being a mother means that even when our children grow older and begin their own journeys, we still think about them and wonder how they are doing. I may not know all the details of his everyday life, but I am grateful for the opportunities we have to connect and hear from him. I am learning to treasure these moments without wishing too much for things to be different.
This Christmas video call may have been a small event in the middle of the holiday season, but it became a memory worth keeping. The picture of Elder Yu smiling and holding his two books reminds me that family love can be expressed in simple ways—a parcel sent with care, a few minutes on a video call, and the happiness of seeing someone we love receive something we prepared for them.
As I look back on Christmas 2024, I feel grateful for Elder Yu and for the opportunity he has to serve the Lord. I am thankful that we could share this moment, even through a screen, and that I could see his smile as he showed us his presents.
Two books, one video call, and a son's happy smile—these are the little Christmas moments I want to remember. ❤️
No comments:
Post a Comment