Perfect... Imperfection... Seeking A Balance...

Sunday, October 6, 2024

Let Your Light So Shine Before Men

October 6, 2024

Let Your Light So Shine Before Men

Dear Elder Yu,

As you know I took Math 221 Social Science Statistics this Fall semester, I am expecting a huge workload on my homework and study because the course requires us to have Zoom meetings with our own chosen group twice a week. My group members meet every Tuesday and Thursday at 8 am MDT. (Malaysia 10 pm) My group consists of 4 students from Nigeria, Brazil, and a Congorians who stayed in the States, and myself from Malaysia.

Initially, I had the wrong perceptions of my fellow team members who came from African continents because I was afraid that it might be difficult for me to understand their accents when they spoke English which might hinder my study progress. Soon, after our first Zoom meeting, I felt ashamed of myself being thinking of that and my thoughts were not so disciple of Jesus Christ at all! I came to realize and know them better.

Henry who came from Nigeria is a father to a young son and a brilliant student, he initiated our group, was always the lead in our group, and explained to us if we could not understand the weekly topics.

Samson who is originally from Congo currently resides in the US. I think he is married with a young child as well because I could see sometimes he was carrying his son while we were on our Zoom meeting.

Walkriya is about in her 50s to 60s (if my guessing is correct) German businesswoman who resides in Brazil. She indeed amazed me with her learning attitude and the persistence she has at her age right now.

Everyone has their light on them which I can borrow and learn from, in strengthening my faith, and gaining more understanding in my studies of the topics I do not know and yet to fully understand.

My instructor shared with us his interesting thoughts about the superhero movies that he was growing up with – DC superheroes. The most famous ones are Superman and Batman. Superman with Christopher Reeve and Batman with Michael Keaton and he likes to think about the differences between these 2 characters.

Superman is from another planet and has great powers just by being here.  But he also has a secret identity as the mild-mannered (and kind of weak) Clark Kent; Batman is a billionaire named Bruce Wayne. He has invented many gadgets and is a very good fighter and combines these to put on a suit and become Batman. So one is a great man who puts on a costume to be a lesser man while another is a normal man who puts on a costume to become great.

He posted a question: Who are we?

He would submit that we are Superman,

“You, as members of the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ, are baptized and have received the Holy Ghost (meaning you have a line of communication with the Creator of the World). Many are holders of the Priesthood. Many of you have served missions and thus have been ordained Representatives of Jesus Christ, while others hold local callings and are ordained and chosen by God for a divine purpose.  Many of you are married in the Temple and have all of the blessings that entails.  Perhaps some of you are temporarily removed from some of these blessings, but you are at least familiar with the Atonement and are aware that such removal can last a short time.”

So why then go out into the world and pretend that you are less than you are?

Be Superman!

Superman with his cape billowing

Matthew 5: 14-16

14 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.

15 Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.

16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

3 Nephi 12: 14-16

14 Verily, verily, I say unto you, I give unto you to be the light of this people. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hid.

15 Behold, do men light a candle and put it under a bushel? Nay, but on a candlestick, and it giveth light to all that are in the house;

16 Therefore let your light so shine before this people, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father who is in heaven.

I am so sorry if this letter was sent out now only, and it was a week late. I was writing this letter and my mind was distracted by other thoughts that came into my mind.

I feel blessed and grateful that the scriptures that I would like to share with you initially eventually spoke out from your mouth during our last video call. The moment I heard these scriptures amazed me indeed in how the Lord works in His great work!

So why then go out into the world and pretend that you are less than you are?

I guess this question is kind of posed to me as well. Press forward and keep moving, and that is how faith works!

We love you much!

Love,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment