Perfect... Imperfection... Seeking A Balance...

Sunday, October 20, 2024

The Joy of Our Redemption - October 2024 General Conference

October 20, 2024

General Conference October 2024 : The Joy of Our Redemption

Dear Elder Yu,

It was on the Saturday evening at Mountain Day Time live session, that I listened to Sister Kristin M. Yee’s talk, “The Joy of Our Redemption.” She shared her experiences painting the portrait of the Savior. It seemed like another typical General Conference opening speech until she shared how it was with so many questions in her mind.

Despite feeling overwhelmed, she moved forward and trusted the Lord would help her. It wasn't an easy process. It didn't always appear how she had hoped. There were occasionally spurts of creative inspiration. On numerous occasions, she just had to make another attempt.

After completing an oil painting, she applied a transparent varnish to protect it from dirt and dust. However, she noticed the hair in the painting change, smear, and dissolve, indicating that she applied the varnish too soon. Sister Yee experienced a heart-sinking moment when she accidentally wiped away a portion of their painting with varnish, feeling as though she had destroyed what God had helped her to do.

I could not stand but started crying silently. Her story sounded so familiar and resonated with my journey of creating my eternal family. Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ had lead paved the road for our family after your Daddy and I went through our first divorce. They heard my prayer on my desire to bring this family back together, and They indeed led us back to His Church and our family had been sealed for all time and eternity in the Lord’s holy temple.

Ironically, look at my marriage now, even though our marriage was sealed in the temple, there is no guarantee that I can be together with the one I love forever. I asked myself if I had not tried enough. I must be somehow destroying my marriage without realizing it, just like how Sister Yee mistakenly thought, that her painting was dried enough to apply the clear varnish.

image

Sister Yee’s mother counseled, “You won’t get back what you had, but do the very best you can with what you’ve got.” When I heard this, it was as if God was trying to tell me. Since I have decided to end my relationship with your dad, then I have to do the very best I can with what I have got to move forward.

“Our Heavenly Father and Savior see you. They know your heart. They care about what you care about, including those you love.”

“The Savior can redeem that which was lost, including broken and fractured relationships. He has made a way for all that is fallen to be redeemed—to breathe life into that which feels dead and hopeless.” 

“If you are struggling with a situation you think you should have overcome by now, don’t give up. Be patient with yourself, keep your covenants, repent often, seek the help of your leaders if needed, and go to the house of the Lord as regularly as you can. Listen for and heed the promptings He sends you. He will not abandon His covenant relationship with you.”

“There have been difficult and complex relationships in my life that I have struggled with and sincerely sought to improve. At times I felt like I was failing more often than not. I wondered, “Did I not fix things the last time? Did I not truly overcome my weakness?” I’ve learned over time that I am not necessarily defective; rather, there is often more to work on and more healing that is needed.”

I felt so heartache when I heard all these talks, and I am not a defective item but a daughter of God who still needs to work on myself. Indeed, I need a lot, a lot, and a lot of healing. Your dad saw my tearful eyes as he walked out of the room on the Sunday morning when Annabelle and I were preparing to go to Church. He was home that weekend. His flight was the next Monday early morning.

As you already know, he did not follow us to go to church. I think he would never walk into the Church, unless after our divorce might changed his mind about returning to Church. Knowing him, he would want to get married to someone he loved for all time and eternity, but sadly that person is not me.

I hope I am not justifying all my reasons for walking away from this unrepaired marriage now. Most importantly, I hope I do

“not defend [myself] from the good that God desires to bless [me] with.”

“In C. S. Lewis’s writings, Aslan poses these words to a man who has entangled himself in his own devices: “Oh [humankind], how cleverly you defend yourselves [from] all that might do you good!”

“Laying aside spiritual defenses such as “pride, selfishness, fear, hate, offense, complacency, unrighteous judgment, jealousy…” that do not blindfold my spiritual eyesight, hearing abilities, and crystal mind – anything that would keep me from coming closer to my Savior.” 

I was amazed by Sister Yee’s talk because she brought out so many precious topics which I think answered some part of my prayers and the questions that linger in my mind. She shares her journey of painting a portrait of the Savior, which serves as a metaphor for the redemptive power of Jesus Christ in our lives.

Through her experiences, she illustrates the profound joy and relief that come from repentance and the Savior's atoning sacrifice. Sister Yee emphasizes that no matter our mistakes or weaknesses, the Savior's love and power to redeem us are boundless. Her talk invites us to embrace the Savior's healing and to strive for personal change through sincere repentance.

Sister Yee highlights the importance of living our covenants to receive the Lord's help and power. She encourages us to lay aside any barriers that prevent us from fully embracing God's love and blessings.

Interestingly, there is a little footnote at the end of Sister Yee’s talk which led me to President Nelson’s talk at the April 2023 General Conference, “The Answer Is Always Jesus Christ,”

“Whatever questions or problems you have, the answer is always found in the life and teachings of Jesus Christ. Learn more about His Atonement, His love, His mercy, His doctrine, and His restored gospel of healing and progression. Turn to Him! Follow Him!”

Well, I know I still have a lot to catch up on and work on my struggles, I know I can do it for “I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.”

Love,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment