Sometimes, the simplest things can touch our hearts in ways we never expect.
I received a message on Messenger from Sister Amy Shaw, one of the ward missionaries who has been serving alongside my son, Elder Yu. She sent me some photos of my son with another elder, including pictures of them standing beside a bicycle and enjoying some snacks.
At first, I was simply happy to see his face. As a mother, I always love receiving photos of my children, especially when they are far away from home. I looked at his smiling face, feeling grateful for this little glimpse of his life that I would otherwise not get to see.
But then I started reading Sister Amy’s message.
She told me that she and her husband, Alan, felt blessed to know my son. She described him as an amazing elder who works hard and has a great spirit about him. She shared that the people in their ward love him. She even compared him and another elder to the stripling warriors in the Book of Mormon because of their faith. She also mentioned his infectious smile and positive attitude.
By the time I finished reading her message, tears were already in my eyes.
I don't think Sister Amy realised how much those words meant to me. She was probably just sharing her appreciation for the missionaries, but to me, it felt like receiving a warm hug from someone who was there with my son when I could not be.
As his mother, I naturally wonder how he is doing. Is he happy? Is he adjusting well? Is he getting along with the people he serves? Is he feeling the Lord's love and finding joy in his mission? I cannot see his everyday life, and I don't always know what he experiences or what challenges he might be facing.
So when someone takes the time to tell me that he is doing well, that he is loved, and that his presence makes a difference, it touches a very tender place in my heart.
It wasn't just the photos that made me cry. It was knowing that someone, far away from our family, had come to know my son, appreciate him, and see the good in him.
Looking at the pictures, I found myself smiling through my tears. There he was, standing beside his missionary companion, looking happy and comfortable. They were just ordinary moments, but they suddenly felt so precious to me. I wished I could give him a hug, tell him how proud I am of him, and remind him that his family is thinking of him and praying for him.
Then I felt grateful for Sister Amy and her husband. They may not realise how much their kindness means to a missionary's mother. Their message reminded me that even though I cannot be there with my son, Heavenly Father has placed good people around him. People who care, encourage him, and help make his mission feel a little more like home.
I have always known that sending a child out into the world means learning to let go little by little. But when our children leave home to serve the Lord, there is another layer of emotion. We want them to grow, to become independent, and to develop their own faith, yet a part of us will always worry and hope they are being cared for.
This message reminded me that I don't have to see everything to know that the Lord is mindful of him. Sometimes, He lets us see just enough to reassure our hearts.
I am so thankful that Sister Amy took the time to send these photos and write such thoughtful words. She probably thought it was a small gesture, but it meant so much more to me than she could imagine.
I will treasure her message for a long time—not because someone praised my son, but because it reminded me that he is making connections, serving with faith, and touching the lives of people around him.
That night, my tears were tears of gratitude. Gratitude for the people who love my son, for the opportunity he has to serve, and for a Heavenly Father who knows that sometimes a mother simply needs a little reassurance.
Thank you, Sister Amy and Brother Alan, for loving my son and for taking a moment to let me know how he is doing. You have no idea how much comfort your message brought to my heart.
Sometimes, a mother doesn't need a long phone call or a big update. Sometimes, all it takes is a few photos and a kind message from someone who says, in their own way, “Your son is doing well. We love him, and we're grateful to know him.”
And that day, those simple words were enough to make this mother's heart overflow. ❤️
No comments:
Post a Comment