November 2, 2024
I Belong to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Dear Elder Yu,
I belong to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
I know who I am.
I know God’s plan.
I’ll follow him in faith.
I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ.
I’ll honor his name.
I’ll do what is right;
I’ll follow his light.
His truth I will proclaim.
This letter comes a week late after I realized that our family has been baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for already 10 years since 26th October 2024. I saw these photos came into my mailbox as a notification from One Drive for my memories from that day.
It was so co-incident that last week we studied the Book of Mormon 3 Nephi 27 to 4 Nephi about “There Could Not Be a Happier People” when I taught the Primary children that “I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ” and sang the song together and talk about why we are thankful to belong the Savior’s Church.
Reflecting through the years, it has never been easy to be on the path of discipleship. Coming to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints wasn’t just about learning new doctrines, such as the premortal life and baptism for the dead; it was a change in culture, lifestyle, and expectations. Resolving those differences was a hard road to walk. Before our family joined the Church, I still remember the churches we used to go to, which in so many ways were quite unlike the ones we know now.
The clergy and choir at church were dressed in robes during worship service—their equivalent of sacrament meeting—ministers delivered sermons and did all of the talking. The churchgoers repeated the Lord's Prayer together and sang hymns that sounded like songs. There was a cross in the choir loft. They used grape juice instead of water for the sacrament, and high school kids attended Sunday School with the adults in a class that talked about current issues in society.
You still remember that I once said to you and Annabelle that, latter-day saints indeed are peculiar people as told by President Gordon B. Hickley because the world customs and social beliefs are so much different.
The world teaches that it is OK to drink alcohol or smoke. Having a boyfriend or girlfriend as a teenager is OK. The world teaches that you could even have sexual relations before marriage as long as you believe you are in love. I never know about having a testimony. The first time I saw a fast and testimony meeting—wow! I could not believe how odd that seemed. No one ever stood to share their beliefs like that in the churches out there.
Annabelle and you considered growing up in the Church, churchy things become pretty normal. You get used to the regularity of the meetings, the building you attend, and the kind of clothes people wear at church. Things like giving talks in sacrament meetings, paying tithing and fast offerings, and fasting once a month are just a part of life. Living the Word of Wisdom, accepting callings to serve, and living the law of chastity are all part of what you learn to do.
However, for converts, it can be a big adjustment trying to take it all in. Certainly, receiving a testimony of gospel principles is the first step toward membership in Christ's Church. Having a testimony, however, does not make the transition to living as a member of the Church any easier.
Fortunately for us, our church members are patient, compassionate, and consistent. They took us to events and invited us to their house for dinner, family home evening, and so on. That made a significant impact not just in my joining the church, but also in my remaining active and finding strength when my testimony wavered. I guess I owe a lot to the sisters in the Relief Society for helping me figure things out.
Here are some of the challenges new converts face. How might our friendship and missionary work help them overcome these challenges?
- Struggling to understand new doctrine.
- Choosing different media, music, movies, and books.
- Understanding scripture language.
- Coping with lack of acceptance from non-LDS family and friends.
- Wearing different clothing.
- Dedicating the time to attend church and seminary.
- Learning new practices and customs in the worship services.
- Having to change habits, language, and ways of thinking.
- Adapting to LDS social culture.
- Learning the LDS-specific meanings of terms, like gospel, apostasy, and restoration.
Last but not least, share with you, President Gordon B. Hickley’s quote:
“We are a peculiar people. There is a wholesomeness about you that is beautiful and wonderful. We don’t smoke, we don’t drink, we don’t even take tea or coffee. That is strange for a lot of people. We do vicarious work for the dead. We teach that marriage in the house of the Lord is for time and for all eternity, that families can actually be forever. We are a peculiar people, and thank heavens we are. If the world continues to go in the direction it is going, families breaking up, pornography everywhere, drugs and things of that kind, we will become an even more peculiar people. God has blessed us generously and kindly and greatly. How thankful we ought to be” (fireside, Sydney, Australia, 14 May 1997).
I am grateful for the Atonement of Jesus Christ that enabled all these wonderful and beautiful things to happen in my life, most importantly I got to know His restored gospel. I am grateful for my membership in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, which is a precious thing to me. It isn’t a simple or ordinary thing; this is the Church and kingdom of God. This is the kingdom of God on earth. I share all these things in the name of our Savior, even Jesus Christ. Amen.
Love,
Mommy
No comments:
Post a Comment