November 23, 2024
I Know Not
Dear Elder Yu,
“3 And my father also was killed by them, and I even remain alone to write the sad tale of the destruction of my people. But behold, they are gone, and I fulfil the commandment of my father. And whether they will slay me, I know not.
4 Therefore I will write and hide up the records in the earth; and whither I go it mattereth not.
5 Behold, my father hath made this record, and he hath written the intent thereof. And behold, I would write it also if I had room upon the plates, but I have not; and ore I have none, for I am alone. My father hath been slain in battle, and all my kinsfolk, and I have not friends nor whither to go; and how long the Lord will suffer that I may live I know not.”
Moroni 8: 3-5
Another thing that I learned from Moroni is that his unconditional faith was similar to his dad, Mormon. Moroni shows another beautiful example of how we can move forward with faith.
We do not need to know everything. We do not need to know how everything will play out as long as we know whose side we are on and who we have given our heart, time, energy, and devotion. If we have given that to the Lord, there are going to be a lot of things that we do not know. And in Moroni’s case, he did not know if he was going to survive or whether they were going to slay him. He says “I know not.”
Therefore because I don't know what's in my future. "Therefore I will write and hide up the records in the earth; and whither I go it mattereth not." What an amazing perspective for our world today. And, remember, Moroni is not writing to people in his day. He's not having a conversation with anyone in his time. He is speaking directly to us through the corridor of prophetic time, through this capacity of vision to be able to see our day and to speak directly to us.
He says, "Behold, my father hath made this record, and he hath written the intent thereof. And behold, I would write it also if I had room upon the plates, but I have not; and ore I have none, for I am alone." So, his point is, that he doesn't have a lot of space left. He doesn't have a lot of war. His father's been slain in battle, and all of his kinsfolk. He doesn't have friends or where to go. Anyone he meets is likely to try to kill him, so he needs to stay isolated "How long the Lord will suffer that I may live? I know not."
Moroni is making this so clear. I have a ton of questions, but I'm not going to allow those questions to determine my life's direction. I'm going to stay a disciple of Christ. I'm going to move forward on that covenant path in the face of intense adversity and extreme ambiguity. "I don't know what's going to happen, but I do know where I stand."
This is amazing when he is describing what he now knows compared to what he didn't know. And, so, it is an opportunity for us to seriously reflect and take this personally and say,
Why would Moroni have He's written that to us?
If the Lord showed him our day, why is he writing that? And, what can I do?
What is the therefore what that I can apply in my own life moving forward?
I do not know why I keep on listening and reading across something related to Trust in the Lord and Have Faith in the Lord. Especially last week Come, Follow Me, we read about Ether 1 – 5. And, it seems as if everywhere I go, there are messages about that coming into my mind.
I hope you are doing well in your mission. I love how Sister Amy Shaw mentioned your infectious smile and positive attitude, that you have a great spirit in you! I am so grateful and proud to be your mom!
Love,
Mommy
No comments:
Post a Comment